The Coalition for Public Safety is looking for excellent candidates for the following position:
State Policy Analyst
The state policy analyst will support the Coalition for Public Safety and the Justice Action Network in making our criminal justice system smarter, fairer and more cost-effective. He/she will support Coalition efforts on state legislative issues impacting criminal justice as well as related initiatives. He/she will support the Coalition’s outreach to governors and state legislatures. In addition, this position will coordinate activities and serve as point person on criminal justice issues in the states.
The state policy analyst will help develop legislative best practices on state efforts to promote criminal justice reform as well as state initiatives related to the Coalition’s goals and priorities for action. He/she will coordinate with the state teams representing partner organizations as well as other criminal justice organizations engaged nationally on state-level reform.
In addition, the state policy analyst will draft advocacy documents and legislative summaries for use with various internal and external audiences and stakeholders. He/she will coordinate research related to state criminal justice legislation and related policy goals, and contribute to presentations and reports to share with partner organizations and Coalition Board regarding progress in states and opportunities for reform.
This position will report to the Deputy Director.
· Assist with special projects as needed
· Provide technical edits to editorials and other forms of messaging
· Research, process, and compile data and information on criminal justice statutes and reform legislation in the states, and occasional federal legislation
· Research and produce state-by-state comparisons of existing policies and statutes
· Review and analyze policies
· Track bills and legislation progression
· Prepare presentations for meetings (background materials, talking points, etc.)
· Create endorsement letters
· Write creative summaries on important developments in criminal justice reform
· Assist with other research, writing, and analysis tasks as assigned
· Review and approve daily social media posts
· Draft legislation, where needed
· Assist federal lobbying team in tracking federal legislation
· Prepare federal materials
· Attend meetings with legislative offices
· Event planning assistance
· Ideal candidates will have state legislative experience focused on criminal justice reform.
· Either state legislative experience or criminal justice policy experience are required .
· Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task and prioritize work.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Excellent computer skills are a critical requirement of the position, including thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office. Knowledge of Mac computer systems preferable but not required.
· Salary commensurate with experience; Bachelor’s degree required.
The Coalition for Public Safety is the largest national bipartisan effort working to make our criminal justice system smarter, fairer and more cost effective at the federal, state and local levels. The Coalition has brought together the most prominent organizations from across the political spectrum to pursue comprehensive reforms, including: the American Conservative Union, Americans for Tax Reform, the Center for American Progress, #cut50, the Faith & Freedom Coalition, Families Against Mandatory Minimums, FreedomWorks, the Leadership Conference Education Fund, the NAACP, the Prison Fellowship, and Right on Crime. Together, these organizations represent tens of millions of Americans seeking commonsense criminal justice reforms. Learn more about the Coalition at www.coalitionforpublicsafety.org.
The Justice Action Network is the first action organization in the country to bring together progressive and conservative partners, collaborate with law enforcement, and employ federal and state-specific lobbying, public advocacy, and public education efforts to pass sweeping criminal justice reforms. JAN’s partner organizations include the American Conservative Union, Americans for Tax Reform, the Center for American Progress, #cut50, the Faith & Freedom Coalition, Families Against Mandatory Minimums, FreedomWorks, the Leadership Conference Education Fund, the NAACP, the Prison Fellowship, and Right on Crime. Learn more about the Network at www.justiceactionnetwork.org.
How to Apply
If interested in this position, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line of the email that the application is for the State Policy Analyst position.
The Coalition for Public Safety and the Justice Action Network are Equal Opportunity Employers. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.