We are working for a fairer, more just, and more effective, state and federal sentencing and corrections system with one concept in mind: Let the punishment fit the crime committed.
The Coalition partners are working to:
- Expand alternatives to incarceration.
- Balance the need to reduce overreliance on incarceration with ensuring community safety.
- Hold the criminal justice system accountable for its results in preventing crime and reducing recidivism, seeking justice for victims, lowering crime rates, reducing re-offending risks, and conserving taxpayer dollars.
- Support policies that ensure that the punishment fits the crime through sentences that are fair and proportional to the underlying crime and facts.
- Reduce the length of existing mandatory minimum sentences.
- Expand “safety valves” that give judges the ability to inform sentencing decisions with specific factual circumstances.
- Create or expand a continuum of sentencing options and alternatives to avoid one-size-fits all sentencing practices, including strong community supervision and programming options.
- Commit to a comprehensive strategy to contain and curtail long-term incarceration costs by appropriately transitioning offenders back into society in such a fashion that reduces recidivism rates, promotes public safety, protects families, and strengthens communities.
- Provide educational programs, job training opportunities, and mental health care when necessary to people in prison, and increase their chances of reentering society with social relationships intact and better prepared to make a positive transition back into their communities.
- Reduce prison overcrowding, which jeopardizes safety for those incarcerated, correctional officers, and other staff.
- Reduce the use of solitary confinement in jails and prison facilities, particularly with regard to juvenile detention.
- Support greater transparency and better data collection on prison programming.
- Support comprehensive legislation to substantially reduce the federal prison population through a combination of significant sentencing and corrections reforms.